Saturday, February 9, 2008

It is time, love, to break off that sombre rose,shut up the stars and bury the ash in the earth;
and, in the rising of the light, wake with those who awoke or go on in the dream,
reaching the other shore of the sea which has no other shore.




I love poetry.
Some of my all time favourites -

1.The highwayman by alfred noyes - I dont know anyone who isn't a fan of this poem. And if you haven't read this one yet, I am surprised you're still at my blog. Go get some pseudo-intellectual poetry stimulation first. hmmph! (and then come back? okay?)

2.Macavity, The Mystery Cat by T.S. Eliot- This was the very first poem I liked. And still do. "He's broken every human law, he breaks the law of gravity." It's obvious why I like this poem so much. ;)

3.She walks in beauty by Lord Byron- Yes ! yes ! This poem is all about me.

4.ALL poems by Pablo Neruda. I wish I could follow spanish just so that I could read all his original works. One of my faves:-

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where 'I' does not exist, nor 'you',
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.
- Pablo Neruda Love Sonnet XVII

5.Last but the not the least. Came across this poem a long time back in a diary I used to maintain a longer time back. I dont know the poet.. and I am going crazy figuring out whose handwriting its written in .. because its certainly not mine !

SHATTERED

What if I can't feel anymore and turned my back on you?
Walked out the door?
Would you let me be if I looked away?
And if I needed you to watch over me-
how far wou ld you go?
How much would you show?
Would you wait for me if I was led astray?
What if I felt passionate tonight and I searched for you?
Turned down the light?
Would you give to me if I asked you to stay?
And if I needed to escape it all-
would you set me free?
Would you recapture me?
Would you remember me if I ran away?
What if you were sick of it all and gave up on everything?
To brace for the fall?
Would you care for me if nothing else mattered?
And if you were weeping in the rain-
could I wipe your tears?
Could I dispel your fears?
Would you let me see if your soul had been battered?
What if the rain fell down upon meand knocked me to the ground?
Then fed on me?
Would you comfort me when my wits have been scattered?
And what if I lost all belief-
of my immortality?Of my destiny?
Would you cry for me if my world was shattered?


And in case you are wondering (or were wondering) what's with the weird pic with the fog and all ; its the view from my window right now as i sit procrastinating with my blog rather than go and study for my test which is in ...um...well,6 hours.



Here's to poetry and beautiful mornings. I hope they always remain the same.

10 scribbled up the vine:

Comfortably Numb said...

nioce work!
get something original and ur blog will be rocking~!
rock on
cheers

S Ramanathan said...

well, poems are just not something i can get impressed with! i find it weird tat i am like tat, specially cos strong phrases and lyrics and songs and movies can inspire me a lot..! anyways, good tat u are so much in love wit them...!


and abt the template, i made it. :)

Shruti said...

hi wyntey!
first things first..the view is breath-taking!wher do u live to have this view right outside the window?!and i confess i havent read any of the poems mentioned...will do asap...im more of a donne,keats,elizabeth barrett person...i totally understand ur love for poetry....its somewher between prose and a song and so much above both of them.....good post....and i cudnt view ur orkut profile so here's mine..add me!

http://www.orkut.com/Profile.aspx?uid=1266114154607645261

-shruti

phish said...

you mention a few favorites. and i love that scene from the window. its perfect for the post. where is this, if i may ask?

have not touched pablo neruda yet. maybe i will now. hope your test went well.

Sunaina said...

Did you write these?
you're good.

Wyntey said...

@cookie - many of my previous posts ARE original .. apparently, not original enough to provoke normal interest. :(

@ s ramanathan - are you sure you've gone through the good poets?? maybe u are still searching for your poet-equivalent. i found mine in Lord Byron :)

@shruti - do i need reply you here? :)

@phish- wow! i cant help but feel flattered everytime u comment on my blog :D. i live in cuttack, orissa. and only recently opened my eyes to its many charms.

@ sunaina - i wrote NONE of the poems .ie unless u count copy pasting it in my blog.However, the following poem is all me. do follow the link :)

http://pinxjinxed.blogspot.com/2006/09/why.html#links

pandian chelliah said...

nice....
am rereading...rereading....rereading...ur blog...

Unknown said...

I love the way you feel about poetry and you have so many favorites. Its real nice to know that some still value words when this whole world is busy relating itself to meaningless soapoperas.

never leave your love for poems...

Goldbug said...

hi.. great to find new blogs.. and i love what you've done with the woman on the side and the chandelier.
I used to entertain people with a performance of Highwayman complete with sound effects. hehe. that really is some poem.
and if u haven't already.. do read Chambermusic by james joyce.
http://www.online-literature.com/james_joyce/1066/

I'm very partial to Part II.

AM said...

wyntey, is this your real name??
.. i love poetry too..n yes i love neruda too.. had read him on someone's blog once n fell in love with his poetry.. havnt read the other poems tht u mentioned..i read more of dickinson n plath n m lookin for more poems by elizabeth browning.. one of my fav poems is ths poem Sudden Light by dante rosseti. There r too many poems n poets to be read, so little time.. anyways i keep a blog for poetry n other writings, http://www.nascentwriter.blogspot.com/
lemme knw wat u think,

n yes, nice blog, found a blog which i'd like 2 read more of after quite long..
tc.. n yes, LOLs never really fulfill their promise of laughter..

 
template by suckmylolly.com